It is essential for all seafarers that they can safely eat the food served without fear of getting sick or even die of foodborne diseases. Today it is well known from research and accidents with food, what makes people sick, and what can be done to prevent it to happen. It is some hygiene rules to be respected by all. It is about incorporating some procedures in order to store and cook food correctly.
Seahealth has developed the "Hygiene in the galley", which provides guidance and advice for self-assessment in the galley. The package contains:
- Three guidances that give advice on how self-assessment can be approached. Part 1 is to the company that set the frame of which cooking is done. Part 2 is to the master and the ship's cook, to ensure the organization and documentation on board. Part 3 is useful knowledge to the ship's cook on food safety and prevention of diseases etc.
- DVD and accompanying booklet provides an introduction.
- Two A3 posters can be hung in the mess.
- Wall poster in plastic with suction cups can be hung on a door or bulkhead in the galley.
- Stickers to put up various places such as stores or in the mess. The vacuum stickers can be easily put up and taken down because they are hung up vacuum.
- A CD with good examples of schemas. The forms are for inspiration and should certainly be adapted to the shipping company and ships.
"Hygiene in the galley" is a tool that is targeted to the seafarers and shipping companies. It is for them to implement self-assessment for example in the ISM / SMS. Focus is on the galley and HACCP. The tool is consistent with the requirement that is in the MLC 2006 3.2 and the national legislation, which will come from the Danish authorities.
A campaign on hygiene
Will the company make an extra effort to "Hygiene in the galley" it can be rolled out as a campaign. Seahealth can offer to help get started and suggest to coordinate an effort for example over half a year, a year or two years. For this there are the following adjuvants:
- "Hygiene in the galley" has posters and stickers to the galley and mess.
- Involvement of galley personel in the renewal of diet and health policy in the company. Among other things we can offer a qualification course for the galley personel constructed as a split course. See the campaign proposal below.
- Subscribe the ships to our newsletter and join the competition, see below
- Ordering sheet for campaign merchandise, t-shirts and napkin dispensers. Enclosed in "Hygiene in the galley".
- Hygiene Certificate courses and from September 2012 we offer the course as e-learning.
Hygiene Certificate courses
To meet the future requirements of the MLC and the Danish legislation the shipping companies must be able to give the staff in the galley the necessary skills. For this Seahealth has been approved to give hygiene certificate courses. Therefore we offer hygiene certificate courses and from September 2012 the course can be taken as e-learning. Register for our newsletter on www.seahealth.dk and be notified directly about the possibilities.
For further information contact Carsten Gydahl-Jensen email@example.com or Annelise Ømand firstname.lastname@example.org.
>> Read more about MLC 2006
>> Download campaign materials
>> Read more about our courses